Christian Charles Philip Bale (b. January 30, 1974) is a Welsh actor who portrayed Bruce Wayne / Batman in The Dark Knight film trilogy. He appeared in all three entries: Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). Bale also reprised his role for the tie-in video game to Batman Begins. He was one of only five actors to appear in all three Nolan Batman films.
- Jamie "Jim" Graham in Empire of the Sun (1987)
- Jim Hawkins in Treasure Island (1990)
- Thomas Berger in Swing Kids (1993)
- Laurie in Little Women (1994)
- Stevie in The Secret Agent (1996)
- Arthur Stuart in Velvet Goldmine (1998)
- Demetrius in A Midsummer's Night Dream (1999)
- Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (2000)
- Walter Wade Jr. in Shaft (2000)
- Quinn Abercromby in Reign of Fire (2002)
- John Preston in Equilibrium (2002)
- Trevor Reznik in The Machinist (2004)
- Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman Begins (2005)
- Alfred Borden in The Prestige (2006)
- Dan Evans in 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
- Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Dark Knight (2008)
- John Connor in Terminator Salvation (2009)
- Melvin Purvis in Public Enemies (2009)
- Dicky Eklund in The Fighter (2010)
- Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Russell Baze in Out of the Furnace (2013)
- Irving Rosenfeld in American Hustle (2013)
- Moses in Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)
- Rick in Knight of Cups (2015)
- Michael Burry in The Big Short (2015)
- Christopher Myers in The Promise (2016)
- Ken Miles in Ford v Ferrari (2019)
When asked if looking forward to working with Heath Ledger, who plays the Joker in The Dark Knight; Bale replied: "Absolutely. Heath is a great choice for it. I like him personally. He’s got a real kind of craving for playing that role so I think he’s going to do something really very different with it. We worked together briefly in the Todd Haynes movie as well."
- Bale shares the record of most appearances as Batman with Ben Affleck, who appeared as the character in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League.
- Bale has also played Batman the most times in live-action Batman solo films. The record was held by Michael Keaton, who appeared twice in a row in both Burton films.