Before she appeared in Gotham, Copperhead was already famous throughout most of South America for her skills as an escape artist, after having successfully broken out of fourteen different prisons. She also had tattoos that suggested a connection to a Central American gang. By the time she took the hit on Batman, Copperhead had two outstanding warrants in murder of the first degree and one outstanding warrant in theft.
Copperhead arrived in Gotham City and ended up captured and placed in interrogation. Copperhead managed to escape her overconfident interrogator, by breaking his neck with her legs while he tried to call for help before she received an envelope that detailed a bounty on the vigilante known as Batman. At some point during her contracted status, Copperhead had managed to deduce that her "employer" had actually been impersonated by The Joker.
After tracking Batman to the Steel Mill, Copperhead stalked her prey as he made his way through the establishment, killing one of Joker's Henchmen along the way. This, perhaps was a way to let Batman know what was in store for him, to try unnerving him.
Upon finding and interrogating a captured Roman Sionis, Batman was attacked and poisoned by Copperhead. The vigilante soon found a sample of her venom, scanned it, and had Alfred synthesize an antidote. While heading to ground level to receive the antidote from the Batwing, Batman had hallucinations of Alfred, the Bank Manager of Gotham Merchant's Bank, and Commissioner Loeb.
Arriving at ground level, Batman got into a lengthy fight with Copperhead and, after receiving and using the antidote, easily defeated the assassin. Attempting to coerce the vigilante into letting her go, Copperhead offered to provide information on the Joker's next meeting. However, Batman, using the electric signal emitting from the Electrocutioner's Shock Gloves, found no use in the criminal and left her in a shipping crate for the GCPD.
Shortly afterwards, there was talk about Copperhead's imprisonment. It turns out that the police had gotten wise to her tricks, and locked her in a cell with a glass wall, as she would just easily escape through metal bars due to her contortionist abilities.
Copperhead is a contortionist, and can bend and flex her body beyond the normal human range of motion. She has short whitish-blonde hair, and yellowish reptilian eyes. She wears black eyeliner, which slightly obscures her features and throws her unusual eyes into sharp contrast. She has many tattoos across her upper body and arms, and wears close-fitting snake-skin clothing, as befitting her moniker.
She is tall and well-built, with a gymnast's body. A small brown vest covers her fairly sizable tits and she is wearing skintight brown leather pants. She is Hispanic but her hair is short and bleached blonde. Greasepaint is streaked across her eyes, covering them in shadow.
- 145 lbs.
- "Hmpf. An empty promise from a fallen king, I know about the Joker."
- "I killed you. And in a few more minutes, your body will realize it."
- "You think you're cured? My poison, is still in your veins and it will remain there as long you live - which won't be very long."
- "He's called the meeting. All assassins will be there. When you set me free, I'll tell you where."
Game Over Lines
- "Now that you've been dealt with, I've got a prize to collect."
- "Lo siento, Batman. Pero mi veneno es la muerte. Now, sleep!"
- "I bet you never expected the end to come to this."
- The Game Over Screen in which Copperhead spoke in Spanish could be translated as: "Sorry, Batman, but my poison is death."
- When Batman accessed the data on the assassins, the records on Copperhead referenced a male instead of a female. That was due to it being an alias that was adopted by multiple assassins from a South American Clan (also nearly all of the users of the Copperhead name were males, with the only exceptions the recent New 52 versions, that version, and the one from Gotham)
- Copperhead's motion-captured movements were done by a martial artist, a stunt woman, and a Cirque de Soleil performer.
- In Batman: Arkham Knight, while Batman searched for the captured Ace Chemicals workers, he came across a workstation with a tube marked "Copperhead Poison" on it, which suggested that Copperhead may have had a hand in the manufacture of Scarecrow's new Fear Toxin.
- This incarnation of Copperhead inspired the second Copperhead in the New 52.