Jervis Tetch has what you might call an unhealthy obsession with all forms of headgear. From fancy derbies to turbans to pith helmets, he'll steal them all. But the thing he desires most is Batman's cowl.
Citizens of Gotham were having there hats stolen. Not everyday citizens but members of the jury that put criminal Jervis Tetch into custody. It seems that he wants revenge as well as Batman's cowl as his thirtenth hat. He traps the Caped Crusader in clay but he escapes. Batman and Robin confront him but Jervis straps them to a hat machine which will cut them open. They escape and defeat him. He is presumably sent back to prison (BM: The Thirteenth Hat and Batman Stands Pat). He escaped from prison again in an attempt to steal Batman's cowl once more. (BM: The Contaminated Cowl and The Mad Hatter Runs A Foul). Recently, he became tired of stealing hats and began using hats to commit other crimes. Last time he escaped from prison was during a prison softball game, when he stole home plate along with Warden Crichton's cap, and just kept on going. It is unknown whether his obsession will resurface, however. The Mad hatter's most frequent hideout is the the defunct Green Derby restaurant.
Weapons and Equipment
- Super instant mesmerizing device- pops out of the top of his hat and shoots two energy bolts directly into the victim's eyes, putting them to sleep instantly.
- Ruby retriever- a small wooden device held in the palm of your hand, used to quickly steal jewels from headdresses or statues
Just as Batman and Robin do not go at crime-fighting alone, Mad Hatter needs fellow partners in crime to assist him with his malicious schemes:
- Cappy and Dicer- thugs.
- Polly- his hat check girl, presumably in charge of keeping tabs on Mad Hatter's many hats. She was quite opposed to violence, however, and quite uncomfortable with the idea of killing Batman and Robin. Also, Batman noted she was a bad liar.
- Benley and Skimmer- simple henchmen.
- Lisa- female henchwench.
- This version was based on the comic book character who was later revealed to be an imposter. See Imposter Mad Hatter.