Head of Gotham City's Major Crimes Unit and originally from Star City; Sawyer is a career police officer. Rising through the ranks to become a captain in the Metropolic Special Crimes Unit, Sawyer was eventually promoted to Inspector under Commissioner Dan Turpin following the death of Superman.
Later, Sawyer was transferred to head up the Major Crimes Unit in Gotham City under Commissioner Michael Akins. Post Infinite Crisis, James Gordon has been reinstated as Commissioner after Harvey Bullock uncovered a corruption scandal that went all the way to the top. Maggie Sawyer seems to have been outside the scandal as she has retained her position within the department.
Powers and Abilities
- Average: Maggie Sawyer possesses the strength level of a woman her age, size and weight who engages in moderate regular exercise.
- Police issue hardware and uniform including riot gear.
- Police issue sidearm.
- Well known Police Officer of both Gotham City and Metropolis.
- Maggie Sawyer is also a lesbian, like Gotham police officer Renee Montoya, which has been displayed outright in some sources, notably the comics books, and merely hinted at elsewhere. In Superman: The Animated Series, for example, her girlfriend is shown sitting by her bedside during General Steppenwolf's attack on Earth but never actually mentioned as such.
In Other Media
- Maggie Sawyer appears in the Superman Animated Series, where she is an Inspector with the Metropolis Major Crimes Unit, and Dan Turpin is her subordinate. She and Daniel Turpin assist Superman in a variety of threats to Metropolis, which culminated with the series of guerilla actions sponsored by Darkseid before his bid to take over Earth, during which she was injured.
- Maggie Sawyer also appears in television series Smallville episodes Insurgence, Exile, Exposed, and Descent played by actress Jill Teed.