Earth One (Silver Age)
J'onn J'onzz was a Green Martian born on the planet of Mars where he was considered an upstanding citizen. This was until a global racial-war broke out between the Green Martians and their sister-species, the White Martians. After defeating the White Martians' leader, J'onn was banished to the deserts of Mars for 13 Years.
On Earth, a scientist named Dr. Saul Erdel built a machine which teleported J'onn to Earth, causing Erdel to die of a heart-attack. On Earth, J'onn took up the alias of John Jones and used his shapeshifting to become a detective in Middleton, Colorado.
He would eventually become a founding member of the Justice League of America.
J'onn J'onzz was a Green Martian born on the planet of Mars (known to the Martians as Ma'aleca'andra) and grew up to be a Manhunter (Mars' equivalent of a police-officer). He was also a family man who had a wife and daughter.
Everything changed when J'onn's twin-brother Ma'alefa'ak attempted to commit genocide of the Martian peoples with a telepathic plague. J'onn tried to save his family but failed to do so, watching them die before his eyes.
Meanwhile on Earth, a scientist named Dr. Saul Erdel salvaged ancient Martian technology which he used to bend time and space, bringing J'onn to Earth. J'onn was however plagued by insanity from the knowledge of his entire species' death and so Erdel used J'onn's psionic abilities to implant a new backstory into the Martian's brain, inspired by retro sci-fi stories about Mars. When the scientist discovered J'onn could shapeshift, he was so shocked that he died of a heart-attack and spent his last moments alive asking J'onn for forgiveness for taking him from his planet.
J'onn used his shapeshifting abilities to blend in with human-society and assumed the identity of John Jones. As Jones, he became a detective in the city of Middleton, Colorado where he used his superpowers to aid in his affairs. Eventually, knowledge of the Martian Manhunter spread and resulted in J'onn using the Martian Manhunter alias as a superhero identity while keeping his John Jones identity active.
He would go on to be a high-ranking member of the Justice League.
Powers and Abilities
- Martian Physiology: As a sentient being from Earth's neighboring red planet, J'onn possess many physical abilities that Superman more or less possesses.
- Superhuman Durability: J'onn's malleable physiology makes him able to withstand various forms of kinetic energy from projectiles and weapons. He also cannot succumb to Earthly ailments due to his extremely powerful immune system and healing factor.
- Superhuman Strength: Manhunter's remarkable strength comes from his telekinetic and malleable powers, giving him strength on par to that of Superman.
- Superhuman Speed: J'onn is known to have the ability to manipulate the magnetic fields around him, giving him the ability to move at superhuman speeds. He can apply such an ability to flight, reflexes and even natural movements.
- Superhuman Stamina: His stamina is known to last for an indeterminate amount of time in extreme conditions and show no signs of fatigue.
- Superhuman Healing: Being a shapeshifter, J'onn possesses amazing healing and regeneration abilities. This gives him the ability to regrow limbs and heal wounds in moments.
- Longevity: Like Kryptonians, J'onn doesn't age normally, in fact his aging process is more slower, making him older than any human on Earth.
- Telepathy: A power demonstrated on his own home planet was the ability to read minds or communicate mentally and project his thoughts in others.
- Mind Control
- Mental Detection
- Psychic Blast
- Telepathic Shields
- Telekinesis: J'onn has demonstrated the ability to manipulate and move objects with the use of his mind.He can also generate protective shields and powerful pushes.
- Flight: Through his manipulation of magnetic fields and telekinetic abilities, J'onn has the ability to fly with great ease.
- Shape-Shifting: Probably the most well known ability J'onn possesses is his natural shapeshifting abilities. He can control an alter his physical appearance at will, making him anyone he sees or anyone of his own imagination.
- Invisibility: Manhunter's malleable physiology makes him able to bend light around himself, in turn making him completely invisible to the naked eye. He can even make himself invisible to he electromagnetic spectrum.
- Intangibility: J'onn's malleable physiology also enables him to phase through solid objects by manipulating his molecules so they pass through an object. He can even use this power to destroy various forms of technology.
- Fire: Like all Martians, J'onn has pyrophobia, in other words a fear of fire. His fear of it isn't just mentally diminishing, but also physically diminishing to him. When exposed, J'onn will lose his powers and if he's exposed to blazes, he'll lose control of his malleable body, making him turn to a puddle of green goo.