Michael Keaton portrays Batman in Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns.
Characters portrayed by Michael Keaton in the Batman Universe
- He appeared with Batman Returns co-star Danny DeVito in the crime/gangster movie Johnny Dangerously and also the 2019 live-action Disney movie Dumbo .
- He co-starred with Batman Forever actress Nicole Kidman in the 1993 drama film My Life.
- When he first read the script for Batman, he planned on refusing it, since he's never been a fan of the Batman adventures. As a child, he didn't read the comics and only seen a few episodes of the campy Adam West TV show, but he became really engrossed with what the film was trying to do, and finally accepted.
- When it was announced that Keaton was going to play the title character in Batman, Warner Bros. office was flooded with countless letters from comic-book fans, insisting that Keaton was the worst possible choice for the role. Batman creator Bob Kane was especially exasperated. Looking back, Keaton is now considered one of the best Batman, and other actors are personally measured by his example. Keaton remarks: "I am Batman. I'm very secure in that."
- When director Joel Schumacher took over the Batman franchise, Keaton left, as he disliked the new lighter, glossier, campier tone the films were taking. He was vocal about disliking Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.
- It was his personal idea to cut down on a lot of the lines of Batman in Batman Returns, so his character would seem especially enigmatic.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.