- "But everyone functions better in a cool enviroment."
- ―Mr. Freeze[src]
Mr. Freeze was an enemy of Batman, a mad scientist who must wear a cryogenic suit to survive.
During a fight in his secret laboratory some years ago, a Doctor Schivel was covered in an experimental chemical he had been working with. Batman tried to save him, but the damage had already been done. The freezing chemical had somehow bonded with his body, and he could no longer survive in any temperature higher than fifty degrees below zero. From then on, he referred to himself only as Mr. Freeze. His condition requires him to wear a cooling suit whenever he leaves his icy lair. Freeze's warped mind blamed Batman for all that had happened to him, and immediately vowed revenge.
Ever since he escaped from prison, Freeze has been trying to destroy Batman. He also often tries to freeze other people, or sometimes all of Gotham City. Though whether this is because he wants others to suffer as he suffers, or if he is only looking for companionship, is unknown. The mental damage has also caused him to go through extreme changes in his temperament.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
- Freeze Collar - A special device used to keep Freeze at sub zero temperatures. Without it, he is capable of dying at normal temperatures.
- Freeze Gun - The commonly used weapon Freeze uses to freeze his opponents or turn a specific place to ice.
Just as Batman and Robin do not go at crime-fighting alone, Mr. Freeze needs fellow partners in crime to assist him with his malicious schemes.
- Glacia Glaze (portrayed by Leslie Parrish) - A female ice skater who assisted Mr. Freeze in capturing Professor Isaacson. Her real name is Emma Strunk.
- Frosty (portrayed by H.M. Wynant) - Mr. Freeze's henchman.
- Chillblaine - Mr. Freeze's henchman.
- Nora Fries (Mentioned Only)
Behind the scenesEdit
- Mr. Freeze was portrayed by Eli Wallach in the 1960s, taking on the role after George Sanders and Otto Preminger.
- Out of the many incarnations of Mr. Freeze, Eli Wallach's version used the Freeze Gun the least; Batman and Robin adapted to it during and after their encounter with the Preminger Mr. Freeze, rendering it useless for his next appearance in the show.