Pennyworth is an TV series that is based on Alfred Pennyworth's early life in England, after his SAS service. Thomas Wayne is featured in a prominent supporting role, keen to help in developing Pennyworth's new security company. It was produced through Warner Horizon Television for MGM's Epix channel.
From Warner Horizon Scripted Television, the origin story Pennyworth is a drama series based on DC characters created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. It follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon), a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge), Bruce’s billionaire father, in 1960s London.
- Jack Bannon as Alfred Pennyworth
- Ben Aldridge as Thomas Wayne
- Hainsley Lloyd Bennett as Deon "Bazza" Bashford
- Ryan Fletcher as Wallace "Dave Boy" McDougal
- Dorothy Atkinson as Mary Pennyworth
- Ian Puleston-Davies as Arthur Pennyworth
- Paloma Faith as Bet Sykes
- Jason Flemyng as Lord James Harwood
- Polly Walker as Peggy Sykes
- Emma Paetz as Martha Kane
- Emma Corrin as Esme Winikus
- Jessica Ellerby as The Queen
- Danny Webb as John Ripper
- Richard Clothier as the Prime Minister
- Ben Wiggins as Spanish
- Saikat Ahamed as Mr. Chadley
- Ramon Tikaram as Detective Inspector Aziz
- Simon Day as Sid Onslow
- Harriet Slater as Sandra Onslow
- Jennie Goossens as Mrs. Spicer
- Steve Edwin as Mr. Spicer.
- Anna Chancellor as Frances Gaunt
- Sarah Alexander as Undine Thwaite
- Charlie Woodward as Captain John Curzon
On May 16, 2018, it was announced that Epix had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The pilot episode was expected to be written by Bruno Heller and directed by Danny Cannon, both of whom were also set to executive produce the series. Production companies that were slated to be involved with the series include Warner Horizon Television. On February 6, 2019, it was announced during the Television Critics Association's annual winter press tour that the series would premiere in June 2019.
On April 24, 2019, it was announced that the series is set to premiere on July 28, 2019, on Epix.
In October 2018, it was announced that Jack Bannon, Ben Aldridge, Ryan Fletcher, Hainsley Lloyd Bennett, Paloma Faith, and Jason Flemyng had been cast in series regular roles. On December 4, 2018, it was reported that Polly Walker had joined the cast in a recurring capacity.
Principal photography for the series commenced on October 22, 2018 at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden in Leavesden, Hertfordshire, England. Additionally, a number of shots were taken in London, including selecting the landmark building Florin Court as the home and neighbourhood of one of the series lead characters. Frank Ockenfels took unit still photography and promotional portraits during filming. Principal photography for the series wrapped on May 24, 2019.
Prequel confusion and discrepancies
The show was produced by the Gotham showrunners but there has never been a clear corporate indication that there is any direct continuity between to the two shows. When asked directly by a fan at SDCC, Gannon said "I would say so yes." Despite this, the official descriptions remain the same and this is never used as a selling point by the company. Bruno Heller has yet to share his personal opinion of wether or not he views it as an entirely new entity.
- ↑ ‘Batman’ Prequel ‘Pennyworth’ Lands Series Order at Epix
- ↑ "'Gotham' Boss Sets New Batman Prequel Series at Epix (Exclusive)" (in en) (May 16, 2018). Retrieved on May 16, 2018.
- ↑ "New Batman Prequel Series Arrives at Epix Ahead of Fox's Final 'Gotham' Season" (May 16, 2018). Retrieved on May 16, 2018.
- ↑ D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 6, 2019). "‘Gotham’ EP Danny Cannon Teases Batman Prequel Series ‘Pennyworth’ – TCA". Retrieved on February 7, 2019.
- ↑ Mitovich, Matt Webb (April 24, 2019). "Pennyworth Batman Pre-Prequel Gets Epix Premiere Date, New Teaser". TVLine. Retrieved on April 24, 2019.
- ↑ "‘Pennyworth’: Jack Bannon To Star In Title Alfred Role On Epix’s Batman Prequel" (October 15, 2018). Retrieved on October 16, 2018.
- ↑ "‘Pennyworth’: Ben Aldridge To Play Thomas Wayne In Batman Prequel On Epix" (October 15, 2018). Retrieved on October 16, 2018.
- ↑ "‘Pennyworth’: Ryan Fletcher & Hainsley Lloyd Bennett Set As Regulars In Batman Prequel On Epix" (October 16, 2018). Retrieved on October 16, 2018.
- ↑ "UK Pop Star Paloma Faith Cast As ‘Pennyworth’ Villainess In Epix’s Batman Prequel" (October 19, 2018). Retrieved on October 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Epix Batman Prequel ‘Pennyworth’ Adds Jason Flemyng As Villain" (October 30, 2018). Retrieved on October 30, 2018.
- ↑ "'Pennyworth': Polly Walker To Recur In Batman Prequel On Epix" (December 4, 2018). Retrieved on December 4, 2018.
- ↑ Petski, Denise (March 20, 2019). "‘Pennyworth’: Emma Paetz & Jessica Ellerby Cast In Epix’s Batman Prequel Series", Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved on March 20, 2019March 20, 2019.
- ↑ "Filming Batman prequel series Pennyworth" (30 January 2019).