The Rubberface of Comedy is the twelth episode of the first series of The Batman. It features the Joker returning with a new weapon in the first of a two-part story.
On the rampage with his newly created substance-altering “Joker Putty,” the Joker is out to remake artifacts and landmarks in his image. With his new "putty" he's able to melt and alter the texture of any surface, to warp it in his own vision like silly putty. Both the police and The Batman are hot on his tail, with Chief Rosa demanding both the The Joker and The Batman be brought to justice like a common criminal.
During the excitement, The Batman decides to let best friend Officer Ethan Bennett in on his secret identity, to gain a new ally in his fight against Gotham’s underworld.
This eventually leads to a dramatic showdown between The Joker, in a showdown “fun house” no less, The Batman, and Officer Bennett and Officer Ellen Yin. During the struggle, Bennett inhales fumes from a broken canister of “Joker Putty,” instantly having an ill effect on the cop. In short, the Joker is captured, The Batman disappears, and Bennett is suspended for crediting Batman with The Joker’s capture, and failing to apprehend the Dark Knight.
Later that evening at Bennett’s apartment,he is still feeling ill from gas inhalation earlier in the day. After receiving a phone call from Bruce Wayne, aka The Batman, to meet tomorrow to discuss some important matters, we see him stumble towards the bathroom. He peers in the mirror, looking sickly. He rubs his face and is shocked to discover…his skin begins to melt.
- Rino Romano - Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Alastair Duncan - Alfred Pennyworth
- Steve Harris - Detective Ethan Bennett
- Ming-Na - Detective Ellen Yin
- Kevin Michael Richardson - The Joker
- Jesse Corti - Chief Rojas
- Supervising Producer Duane Capizzi
- Supervising Producer Michael Goguen
- Producer Linda M. Steiner, Jeff Matsuda
- Associate Producer Kimberley A. Smith
- Written by Greg Weisman
- Directed by Sam Liu
- Music by Thomas Chase Jones
- Joker didn't have enough time to mold the statue into his face
- Joker has been touching putty all along, how come he isn't a clayface
The Joker: When Joker's through clowning with you, you wouldn't know where to find your mind! [cackles maniacally]
The Joker: If Gotham belongs to Joker, the dull face of tragedy must become the rubber face of comedy!
Chief Angel Rojas: Wouldn't you say, Detective?
Detective Ethan Bennett: Chief. BACK OFF!
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Bird of Prey||Clayface of Tragedy, Pt. 2|