"The Rubberface of Comedy" is the twelfth episode of the first season of The Batman. It is the the first of a two-part story.
On the rampage with his newly created substance-altering “Joker Putty,” the Joker is out to remake artifacts and landmarks in his image. With his new "putty" he's able to melt and alter the texture of any surface, to warp it in his own vision like silly putty. Both the police and The Batman are hot on his tail, with Chief Rojas demanding both the Joker and The Batman be brought to justice like a common criminal.
This eventually leads to a dramatic showdown between The Joker, in a showdown “fun house” no less, The Batman, and Officer Bennett and Officer Ellen Yin. During the struggle, Bennett inhales fumes from a broken canister of “Joker Putty,” instantly having an ill effect on the cop. In short, the Joker is captured, The Batman disappears, and Bennett is suspended for crediting Batman with The Joker’s capture, and failing to apprehend the Dark Knight.
Later that evening at Bennett’s apartment,he is still feeling ill from gas inhalation earlier in the day. After receiving a phone call from Bruce Wayne, aka The Batman, to meet tomorrow to discuss some important matters, we see him stumble towards the bathroom. He peers in the mirror, looking sickly. He rubs his face and is shocked to discover…his skin begins to melt.
Voice Cast and Characters
- Rino Romano as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Alastair Duncan as Alfred Pennyworth
- Steve Harris as Detective Ethan Bennett
- Ming-Na as Detective Ellen Yin
- Kevin Michael Richardson as The Joker
- Jesse Corti as Chief Rojas
- This episode has some similarities to Batman: The Killing Joke.
- This episode marks the first of numerous two episode story-arcs throughout the run of the show.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|"Bird of Prey"||"The Clayface of Tragedy"|