After Thomas took his wife and son to see Footlight Frenzy at the Monarch Theatre, Martha was robbed at gunpoint by an assailant. When Thomas interceded to protect Martha, both of them were shot in cold blood by a second assailant, Jack Napier.
Dr. Wayne's son, Bruce, grew up and became Batman.
Behind the Scenes Edit
- The Gotham Globe headline that told of the murders of Thomas and Martha Wayne was dated Thursday, October 26, and likely placed the date of their murders on Wednesday, October 25.
- Adam West was considered to play Thomas Wayne. Originally, he wanted to play Batman. Interestingly, West voiced Thomas Wayne in the animated series Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- An earlier draft of the script had Thomas Wayne running against Rupert Thorne (in Carl Grissom's place) for City Council before he was murdered by Thorne's hitman, Joe Chill.
- Sam Hamm's original script for the sequel, "Batman II" had the Penguin and Catwoman team-up to look for lost treasure that was buried at the bottom of Wayne Manor, due to his involvement in the Raven Society, which would then tie into why Bruce's parents were murdered.
- When Alfred Pennyworth received Vicki Vale's message, a portrait of Thomas could be seen in the background.
Production Stills (from 1989batman.com by James Sawyer)Edit
Publicity Photos (from 1989batman.com by James Sawyer)Edit