Batman has devices that send out an ultrasonic signal that attracts bats. A swarm of local bats then approach the area or target.
Batman originally kept this gadget in the heel of his boot. It was used to distract a SWAT team sent by Commissioner Gillian B. Loeb, when Batman was trapped in a condemned building.
Background Information and NotesEdit
Usage in outside mediaEdit
- Batman Returns (1992) - the device is portrayed as a black remote with a blinking red light, pulled from Batman's utility belt at the end of the film. The device is activated by the Penguin and the bat swarm is instantly released from the Batskiboat, causing him to fall to his death. The remote had several switches and functions, it was also used to control the Penguin Commandos and launch their missiles on the Old Zoo. This was originally the intended way for the Joker to be defeated at the end of the first film, but technical limitations at the time prevented this.
- Batman Begins (2005) - a similar scenario is shown to the escape from SWAT in Batman #406. This device is also stored in the heel of his boot, but the lights are red.
- Batman: Year One (2011) - the famous scene where the device first appeared is faithfully adapted in the animated movie.
- Justice League: Heroes (2006) - the device is thrown down at a desired spot and a swarm of bats will attack nearby enemies as a super move. Its appears to be a small item with a blinking red light, the move is referred to as Bat Swarm.
- Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (2008) - One of Batman's "Heroic Brutalities" also called Bat Swarm, the device is portrayed as a special Batarang that emits large visible purple signal waves.
- Batman: Arkham City (2011) - In a combo move called Batswarm, Batman instantly summons a large dissipating vortex and bats without explanation.
- Injustice 2 (2017) - Batman's "character power" move, Summon Bats, brings three robotic bat-drones with neon blue lights, that surround him and hit the opponent.