The Utility Belt is the iconic storage device used to carry most of Batman's gadgets and equipment. Often depicted as part of the Batman Family members' costumes, it is used to house various equipment for the heroes to use or access at short notice. The exact contents of this belt are not known and Batman usually changes them to suit his needs. In some stories, his enemies have attempted to steal or replicate the utility belt, believing it will give them an advantage over him.
The utility belt mainly consists of a strap, buckle and storage compartments. Various designs and materials have been used in its components, changing depending on the time period. The belt's compartments have been specially locked, with only Batman knowing how to open them. In addition to these, the utility belt has been modified to perform different functions by itself. These have include communications equipment, controls for the Batsuit's functions and defense mechanisms to prevent tampering.
As technology has evolved, the array of devices Batman carries have become more complex over time. In most stories, it will often carry Batarangs and either the Batrope or a Grapple Gun. The belt has also carried on different occasions a gasmask, a rebreather, flash and gas grenades, explosives and a detonator, lockpicks, restrains, a signaling device for the Batmobile, electronic surveillance equipment (including video camera and monitor), forensic kits for gathering and storing crime scene evidence, a torch, a medical kit, a cache of money and, in early incarnations, a pistol in a holster.
Most of the specialized weaponry and technology that is portable can be found on Batman's Utility Belt. As it is known that Batman is one of the most resourceful superheroes, the following tools have been placed into categories that they would fit best in.
- Batarangs: Throwing weapons relating to that of either boomarangs or shurikens in the shape of a bat. These can be used for many things, including immobilizing, cutting or disarming. Batman has also modified some to provide additional offensive and utility functions, including being electrified, explosive, heated or remote-controlled. They have also been attached to the Batrope to act as either grappling hooks or ensnare foes.
- Bat-Darts: A form of tranquilizer darts specialized for the needs of Batman.
- Bat-Bolas: A bolas to be thrown around the feet of an fleeing opponent.
- Bat Stungun: A knockout tool used by Batman to temporarily paralyze enemies.
- Flamethrower: A miniature flamethrower used on Bat-Bane.
- Smoke Capsules: Small smoke grenades used in a get-away attempt, or to disorientate or distract opponents. May contain an anaesthesia.
- Gas Capsules: Small glass chemical capsules that, when broken, creates clouds of airborne agents capable of incapacitating opponents.
- Flash-Bombs: Grenades that release a device that temporarily impairs visionary and auditory capabilities to those near after detonation.
- Tear-Gas Pellets: Small capsules that release tear gas with the breaking of the outer shell.
- EMP Grenade: A small grenade which, once detonated, destroys all electronics within a seven foot radius.
Tools for Access or Maneuverability
- Acetylene Torch: A miniaturized laser cutting tool.
- Bat-Heater: A small bat-shaped tool used for heating objects or melting ice.
- Batlight: A standard flashlight sometimes replaced by an infrared version providing illumination only viewable through that of Batman's cowl.
- Line Launcher: A device that shoots steel cables out from both sides. Used to repel across large gaps.
- Batrope: A light-weight, flexible rope used to either slow the rate of decent during high jumps or falls, or catch escaping criminals. Prior to the acquirement of the grapple gun, Batman would also use it to climb walls or swing between areas. The Batrope is usually attached to Batarangs, which act as grappling hooks, and increase throwing distance and accuracy, .
- Bat-Saw: a portable saw used for cutting through objects, such as plants.
- Cryptographic Sequencer: Used to remotely access secure computer terminals and bypass digital security measures. This gadget can also be used to access and listen into secure radio frequencies, allowing Batman to monitor communications.
- Collapsible Bat-Sword: A sword similar to lightsabers used to cut through objects including steel.
- Grapple Gun/Bat-Grapple: A projectile meant for use in scaling large surfaces. It may use a bat-shaped hook, or a simple magnetic end. Similarly, some are equipped with a clamp attachment, which can be used for offensive purposes.
- Bat Bombs: Miniature explosives used to blow down doors or walls.
- Lock Pick: A set of tools capable of opening or breaking locks. They are often stored within Batman's gloves, in case he needs to escape handcuffs or lock-based restraints.
- Universal Tool: A multifunctional electronic tool and portable toolkit. This is often used by Batman for a variety of functions, including as an electronic lockpick and maintenance.
- Master Bat-Key: A master skeleton key.
- Night Vision Bat-Goggles: Infrared Goggles capable of seeing thermal output in dark or dimly-lit environments. In recent years, these have been merged into Batman's cowl for better accessibility.
- Bat-Gas Mask: A mouth-covering utility that can filter out hazardous particles. Often used by Batman to protect him from airborne poisons and harmful solutions, such as Joker Venom and Scarecrow's Fear Toxin.
- Rebreather: A miniature breathing tool used for under water exploration.
- Thermite Grenades: A device used to burn through obstacles. Although it is called a Thermite, it is generally accepted as being a Thermate.
Tools for Crime-Scene Investigation
- Evidence Bags: bags for carrying crime scene evidence.
- Fingerprint Dusting Kit: A small kit for dusting crime scenes when in search for fingerprints.
- Bat-Cuffs: Bat-shaped handcuffs made of a light-weight diamond-impregnated nylon overtop a steel core. These are often used to restrain enemies, henchmen and suspects.
- Bat-Tracer: Used as a tracking device used to locate thugs.
- Communications Devices: An earbug or handheld system used for communication with others. In recent years, the device has been moved into Batman's cowl.
- Cryo Capsules: Small pill-like capsules containing a cryonic acid which is released upon impact.
- Explosive Gel Gun: A device which contains an explosive gel. The gel is applied to a surface, while a button on the side of the tool detonates it. This can be used on structurally weak walls or to incapacitate enemies.
- Energy Deflector: Prototype only, created by Lucius Fox, is able to deflect energy based weaponry/attacks.
- First-Aid Kit: A simple kit for medical emergencies.
- Kryptonite Ring: A ring of Kryptonite stored inside of a lead box used in emergency situation against rogue Kryptonians.
- Bat-Camera: A camera.
- Micro-Cassette Recorder: A small audio recording device which uses cassettes.
- Micro-Processor Power Source: The power source for a regular microprocessor.
- Miniaturized Bat-Toolkit: A smaller, useful toolkit.
- Minicam and Recorder: A miniature camera with an audio recorder.
- Oceanic Repellent Batsprays: A non-lethal chemical spray used to repel oceanic creatures, notably sharks.
- Ultrasonic Bat-Beacon/Batcall: An electronic device that puts out high frequency calls to attract near-by bats.