The Utility Belt is the iconic storage device used to house most of Batman's Gadgets like the Batarang. The exact contents of this belt are not known because Batman usually changes it to suit his needs. His uncanny ability to carry unusually appropriate tools is legendary. Batman's enemies are especially interested in the utility belt as they believe it will give them an advantage over him, but the belt's pockets are locked and only Batman knows how to open them. Occasionally, the utility belt is depicted as having defense mechanisms such as electric shock or stun gas in order to prevent tampering.
The array of devices Batman carries have become more complex over time. The simple coiled rope and batarang scaling equipment became a rocket powered (or compressed air powered) grapple gun. The suit has also carried on different occasions a re-breather device, flash and gas grenades, explosives and a detonator, lockpicks, a signaling device for the Batmobile, electronic surveillance equipment (including video camera and monitor), a forensic kit for gathering crime scene evidence, a medical kit, a cache of money and, in early incarnations, a pistol in a holster.
Most of the specialized weaponry and technology that is portable can be found on Batman's Utility Belt. As it is known that Batman is one of the most resourceful superheroes, the following tools have been placed into categories that they would fit best in.
- Batarangs are throwing weapons relating to that of either boomarangs or shurikens in the shape of a bat. These can be used for many things, including immobilizing, cutting or disarming. Batman has also modified some to provide additional offensive and utility functions, including being electrified, explosive, heated or remote-controlled.
- Bat-Darts: A form of tranquilizer darts specialized for the needs of Batman.
- Bat-Bolas: A bolas to be thrown around the feet of an fleeing opponent.
- Bat Stungun: A knockout tool used by Batman to temporarily paralyze enemies.
- Flamethrower: A miniature flamethrower used on Bat-Bane.
- Flash-Bang Grenades: Grenades that release a device that temporarily impairs visionary and auditory capabilities to those near after detonation.
- Tear-Gas Pellets: Small capsules that release tear gas with the breaking of the outer shell.
- EMP Grenade: A small grenade which, once detonated, destroys all electronics within a seven foot radius.
Tools for Access or Maneuverability
- Acetylene Torch: A miniaturized laser cutting tool.
- Bat-Cuffs: Bat-shaped handcuffs made of a light-weight diamond-impregnated nylon overtop a steel core.
- Bat-Heater: A small bat-shaped tool used for heating or melting ice.
- Batlight: A standard flashlight sometimes replaced by an infrared version providing illumination only viewable through that of Batman's cowl.
- Line Launcher: A device that shoots steel cables out from both sides. Used to repel across large gaps.
- Batrope: A light-weight, flexible rope usually attached to Batarangs used to slow the rate of descent during high jumps or falls.
- Bat-Saw: a portable saw used for cutting through objects, such as plants.
- Cryptographic Sequencer: Used to remotely access secure computer terminals and bypass digital security measures. This gadget can also be used to access and listen into secure radio frequencies, allowing Batman to monitor communications.
- Collapsible Bat-Sword: A sword similar to lightsabers used to cut through objects including steel.
- Grapple Gun or Bat-Grapple: A projectile meant for use in scaling large surfaces. It may use a bat-shaped hook, or a simple magnetic end. Similarly, some are equipped with a clamp attachment, which can be used for offensive purposes.
- Bat Bombs: Miniature explosives used to blow down doors or walls.
- Lock Pick: Not uncommonly kept in the gloves, these are Batman's very own tools for breaking-and-entering.
- Master Bat-Key: A master skeleton key.
- Night Vision Bat-Goggles: A feature built into Batman's cowl using Starlite Infrared capable of seeing thermal output in dimly-lit or non-lit scenarios.
- Rebreather: Used to breath under water.
- Thermite Grenades: A device used to burn through obstacles. Although it is called a Thermite, it is generally accepted as being a Thermate.
Tools for Crime-Scene Investigation
- Evidence Bags: bags for carrying crime scene evidence.
- Fingerprint Dusting Kit: A small kit for dusting crime scenes when in search for fingerprints.
- Batcall: A tool used to summon bats from the Batcave.
- Bat-Tracer: Used as a tracking device used to locate thugs.
- Communications Devices: An earbug or handheld system used for communication with others.
- Cryo Capsules: Small pill-like capsules containing a cryonic acid which is released upon impact.
- Explosive Gel Gun: A device which contains an explosive gel. The gel is applied to a surface, while a button on the side of the tool detonates it. This can be used on structurally weak walls or to incapacitate enemies.
- Energy Deflector: Prototype only, created by Lucius Fox, is able to deflect energy based weaponry/attacks.
- First-Aid Kit: A simple kit for medical emergencies.
- Kryptonite Ring: A ring of Kryptonite stored inside of a lead box used in emergency situation against rogue Kryptonians.
- Bat-Camera: A camera.
- Micro-Cassette Recorder: A small audio recording device which uses cassettes.
- Micro-Processor Power Source: The power source for a regular microprocessor.
- Miniaturized Bat-Toolkit: A smaller, useful toolkit.
- Miniaturized Smoke Grenades/Pellets: Small smoke grenades used in a get-away attempt, or to disorientate or distract opponents. May contain an anaesthesia.
- Minicam and Recorder: A miniature camera with an audio recorder.
- Oceanic Repellent Batsprays: A non-lethal chemical spray used to repel oceanic creatures, notably sharks.
- Sonic Bat-Beacon: An electronic device that puts out high frequency calls to attract near-by bats.